Want to play? Get in touch!
Sign up to Join Our Club next season, or contact us for more information.
Davis Theakston 804.366.0524
Keith Mangum 804.335.4878
Our Players Enjoy:
- 8-week Spring and Summer seasons
- Training equipment provided
- T-Shirts and socks provided
- Heads Up Tackling instruction by USA Rugby Certified Coaches
- Post-Game activities
- Year-round conditioning and skills development
Why Hanover Rugby?
Founded in 2007, The Hanover Rugby Football Club is the oldest youth rugby organization in Central Virginia. We feature teams at all age levels from kindergarten through high school. Generally, each age group generally consists of two grade years. For example, 5th and 6th graders, 7th and 8th graders, etc. Our teams play touch rugby (no contact) at age groups below 5th and 6th grade and play tackle rugby beginning at the 5th and 6th grade level. We have a dedicated coaching staff of experienced and enthusiastic former rugby players, most of whom played not only in college but with senior men’s’ clubs. Our coaches love the game and are passionate teachers—helping to instill in their players not only rugby skills, but also sports and life skills such as hard work, dedication, teamwork, perseverance and sportsmanship. All of our coaches are USA Rugby Certified.
Rugby is a fast-paced, creative game in which players attempt to score “tries” by touching down the ball in the end zone, much like a touchdown in football. Players may move the ball by carrying it, kicking it, or passing it laterally or backward to teammates. The action is constant, and players must play both offensively and defensively (as in basketball or soccer) because possession of the ball can change hands at any time. And, in rugby, all players get a chance to run with the ball if they can keep up with the play.
Rugby in a nushell:
Benefits of Rugby?
- Provides Students With a New Fitness and Conditioning Opportunity
- Provided Shudents with a New Fitness and Conditionint Opportunity
- Improves Hand-Eye Coordination and Ball Handling Skills
- Hones Players’ On-Field decision Making Skills and Situational Awareness
- Enhances Players’ Speed and Agility
- Promotes Teamwork and Communication
- Reinforces and Augments Many of the Skills taught in Other Sport Programs
What about safety?
- Non-contact or Flag/Touch rugby for younger, developing players
- No Pads – Players are taught to tackle with their heads behind the runner and use the runners momentum to bring them down. Consequently, there are much less head and neck injuries than in American Football
- No Blocking – Reduces Blind Side Hits and Knee Injuries
- Tackles – tackler must wrap his/her arms around the ball carrier—no spear tackles, no high tackles, no early or late tackles, and no tackling an opponent whose feet are off the ground
- The Laws of Rugby Have Been Developed Over One Hundred and Eighty Years to Reduce the Risk of Injury
- The Referee’s number one responsibility is safety. He/she will blow the whistle if he/she sees a dangerous situation developing
- Trained Medical Personnel are Present at All Games
- Players, Coaches, Administrators and Facilities are Covered by USA Rugby Liability Insurance